|Washington's Birthday Chocolate Fudge Loaf|
Today, I'm exploring the February 21, 1938, issue of Life magazine, which is available on Google Books. Here's a little of what interested me:
- First off, we have a Baker's Chocolate ad with a recipe for Martha Washington's Devil's Food Cake. I actually baked a Chocolate Fudge Loaf from my copy of All About Home Baking, because it has the same fudge frosting, but makes an 8"x8" cake rather than a 15"x9" one.*
- Those crazy young people are obsessed with swing music. Here's Maxine Sullivan's "Loch Lomond" (1937):
- Download at Internet Archive
- I'll bet you didn't know that Sanka will make your modeling dreams come true!
- Preview of Coming Attractions: Marie Antoinette will be the Movie of the Week July 11th
- Hilarious photo of baby who has crossed the Atlantic four times
- If you grew up with The Story of Ferdinand, you'll love this article. If you are a poor, unfortunate soul who's never read the book, get a copy! Ferdinand is a Spanish bull who would rather smell the flowers than fight. Here's the Disney short:
A page from the Spring 1938 Sears catalog from ancestry.com. What would you order? I totally need that "Cycling Outfit."
|Click to enlarge|